- August 2, 2017
- Posted by: Cardiff Labour Group
- Category: Latest News
Food and Fun, Cardiff’s multi-award winning school holiday enrichment programme, has picked up its seventh award at the renowned 2017 Catey Awards.
Food and Fun’ is a school-based programme that provides good quality meals, food and nutrition sessions and physical activity to children living in socially deprived areas during the school holidays.
During the school holidays, when Free Breakfast in Primary Schools and Free School Meals are not available, some families struggle to access food that provides a healthy diet. Some children also experience social isolation and a lack of intellectual stimulation, and this may contribute to widening the attainment gap. The ‘Food and Fun’ programme aims to tackle some of these issues.
What are the main benefits of ‘Food and Fun’?
• Reduces ‘holiday hunger’ and social isolation
• Provides intellectual stimulation
• Promotes healthy lifestyle choices
• Facilitates collaboration between agencies
• Involves children in decision making
• Makes better use of existing facilities
• Encourages community engagement
• Provides childcare, allowing parents to work
• Offers paid and voluntary employment
• Signposts to other services
Cabinet Member for Education, Cllr Sarah Merry said: “This latest award further cements the excellent work that the Food and Fun sessions have achieved and the positive effect the programme has on Cardiff’s children.
“We want to ensure that the city’s children and young people are receiving healthy, nutritious meals, which are vital to their overall health and wellbeing during school holidays as well as during term time. It is fantastic to see our school holiday enrichment programme carrying on the provision of healthy eating through the summer, as well as providing physical activity and fun learning opportunities, allowing children to make new friends and encourage positive attitudes towards health and diet.”
For further information on the award and program see:
Photo Credit: http://foodcardiff.com